Saturday, February 5, 2022

Vengeance Rising - Battle 4 - Tomb Kings (Dual Snakes) vs Beastmen (Gor Herd) - 4/1/12

Hey guys


Another battle report for your viewing against Beastmen.

My list:

Level 4 - Earthing Rod
Level 4 - Scroll (lore of light)
Necrotect - dragon bane gem, iron curse
20 Archers - Std
20 Archers
2 x 5 Horse Archers
4 chariots - Std, Mus
2 x 6 Necro Knights - FC
Casket
Hierotitan
2 x SSC

Opponents list (from memory)

Beastlord - Crown of Command, Blackened Plate, 4+ Ward, GW
Great Bray Shaman - Beasts
Bray Shaman - Shadow, Scroll
Bray Shaman - Shadow, Herdstone Shard
Wargor - Gnarled Hide, Beast Banner
2 x 5 Chaos Warhounds
Gor Herd - Approx 40-50 models
2 x Tuskgor Chariots
5 Ungor Raiders
Bestigor Herd - FC - Approx 30 models
Razorgor Chariot
3 x Razorgors

Spells

Hierophant - Desert Wind, Smiting, vengeance, Protection
Light - Pha's, Bironas, Speed of Light, Banishment
Lev 4 Shaman - Wissans, Spear, Curse, Flock of Doom
Both Level 1's take Miasma

Deployment:






I roll up first turn after deployment.

TK 1


Magic - 10PD vs 8DD
Desert wind goes off moving my western Necro Knights forward and the archers behind them and finally moving the Hierotitan again in a more central position.
I follow this up with banishment on the Tuskgor chariot however this is dispelled. I try for a light of death on the Razorgor chariot however this is also dispelled. Finally I throw my dice at smiting and my opponent burns his scroll to get rid of this.

Shooting

My Horse archers kill 3 Ungor who pass their panic check.

A well placed skull lands on the Gor wipng out 9 of them however they pass their checks.

Lastly my archers all aim at the ungor wiping out the unit and putting a wound on a level 1.

Not a bad start.



Beastmen 1


Both Level 1's scramble into the Gor unit for protection.

Magic - 6PD vs 2DD

Miasma is cast twice on the archers dropping their BS, now requiring 6's to hit.

Amber spear is failed to cast targetting the Hierotitan.



TK 2


Chariots charge the pig on Eastern flank.

Magic - 10PD vs 5DD

I cast banishment on the Razorgor chariot however this yields no damage after 8 hits. I throw two dice at Vengeance on the Gor unit however this is dispelled. Light of Death fails to kill anything. Lastly I throw the remaining dice at a powered up Smiting which successfully goes through.

Shooting

The only thing worthy of note is the SSC kills 5 Gor and the Archers rack up 5 Gor kills as well.

Combat

After 9 Impact hits I manage to put 2 wounds on the chariot and take the same damage in return. This proves enough however to break the pig and I run him down taking me out of danger of a flank charge from the on lookers.




Beastmen 2


Charges

Razorgor Chariot + Tuskgor Chariot charge Horse archers.

Magic - 6PD vs 2DD

Once again Miasma is cast on the archers dropping BS.

Wissans fails to cast on the Gor.

Combat

Horse archers are smashed unsurprisingly. Units reform to face Necroknights.



TK 3


Charges

Hierotitan charges into the Razorgor.

Necroknights charge into Chaos hounds on the Western flank.

Magic - 9PD vs 3DD

Smiting is dispelled.

Light of Death puts a wound on the Eastern Tuskgor chariot and fails to jump.

I cast Pha's protection on the charging Knights and then throw 2 dice at Neru's Incantation of Protection on the Hierotitan rolling box cars. I roll up an 11 for the miscast result and not really want to reduce my level 4 I opt to re-roll and bingo I get a cascade! This results in my Hierophant getting sucked into the mysterous nether and 12 archers going with him. Further crumbling puts a single wound on the Hierotitan and the Eastern SSC is destroyed.

Shooting

Archers put 2 wounds on the flanking pig and the SSC drops another 4 gor after scattering.

Combat

Hierotitan puts 2 wounds on the pig however it holds.

The Necroknights plough through the dogs and crash into the Gor.



Beastmen 3


Razorgor charges into the Necro Knights

Tuskgor Chariot charges my chariots.

Magic - 7PD vs 2DD

Miasma is once again cast in the usual fashion.
Wissans is also attempted however I scroll this.
Curse goes through.

Combat

Tuskgor chariot kills the chariots.

Pig does 1 wound on the Hierotitan however I manage to swing and kill it reforming to face the East for next turn charge.

The Razorgor chariot puts 3 wounds on the Necroknights with impact hits and crew attacks and takes a single wound in return.

The Necroknights fighting the Gor challenge out the BSB who takes no damage and dishes out a single wound in return. The NK dish out 6 wounds on the unit, 1 wound on the Great Bray Shaman and take 7 wounds in return.



TK 4


SSC Crumbles. :(

Hierotitan charges the Chaos Hounds.

Magic - 11PD vs 6DD

I cast Pha's on the Necroknights agains.

Speed of Light is dispelled however and I sneak Birona's through onto them instead.

Light of Death kills the chariot on the flank.

Shooting

Archers take out the pig threatening the archers.

Combat

Hierotitan proceeds to do sweet FA to the pig holding it in place. At least it's consistent! :)

NecroKnights chop into the chariots with 3 wounds taking none in return but combat holds.

The challenge against the BSB continues with neither side gaining an advantage. The rest of the unit puts 7 wounds onto the gor and take 3 in return but this proves too much for them and they break running from the fight however the serpents prove to swift and the Gors are cut down in the withdrawal.




Beastmen 4


Chariot moves to support Razorgor chariot against Necroknights.

No magic - Hooray! :)

Combat

The Hierotitan takes a wound before destroying the dogs as they flee moving me closer to the Razorgor chariot.

The Necroknights take 2 wounds and hold combat.



TK 5


2 Horse archers crumble.

Hierotitan charges flank of Razorgor Chariot.

Necroknights with Bironas allows them to move a huge 14" to setup a rear charge onto the Bestigor next turn.

Magic - 7PD vs 3DD

Speed of light goes off onto the Necroknights engaged with the Razorgor Chariot.

Light of Death then proceeds to delete the remaining chariot.

Combat

Hierotitan slices through the Razorgor chariot and I reform to face the inevitable.



Beastmen 5


Bestigor charge into Hierotitan. I manage to put a single wound on the Wargor before he dispatches the Giant overrunning into the Necroknights.



TK 6


Remaining archers crumble and the Horse archers.

Necroknights charge into the rear of the Bestigor.

Magic - 12PD vs 6DD

I get a powered up Pha's protection off making the Knights -1 to hit however I fail to get speed of light through.

Combat

The bestigor fail their fear test hitting me on 6's which is always a good advantage! :) I challenge and the champion accepts who dishes out 3 wounds to the beatman dropping him. The warlord puts a wound on the snakes before taking one. In between the 2 units the Necroknights drop 9 of the beasts however they're steadfast and hang around.



Beastmen 6


Combat

The beastlord puts 2 wounds onto the snake riders before a fatal wound dispatches the beast leader dropping him into a pile of mangy fur. The Necroknights continue the carnage dropping a further 6 of the Bestigor and taking 4 wounds in return. With the loss of their leader and the continued damage the Bestigor turn tail and run but prove no match for the speed of the Necroserpents cutting down every last beast.



TK Victory.


Conclusion:

Wow, what a game. Firstly I want to thank Mark Wildman for the inspiration behind the list. I've never had much success at all running the Necroknights in any unit size and I certainly can see the advantages of running 2 units of 6. They're possibly the best thing in our list and even my opponent commented on how he was going to be fighting an uphill battle when he found out I was running two units of 6 of them.

The loss of the Hierophant on the second turn was a nightmare and possibly the worst case scenario, luckily the Level 4 light priest was the general so I didn't lose two birds with one stone. The loss of the Hierophant didn't really effect me that badly and although it would have been nice in the late game to get a wound or two back here and there and dish out more attacks but it probably would have just confused my spell casting a bit more.

The Necrotect saved 6 wounds through regen rolls on the Necroknights so certainly a worthwhile addition to the army. Keeping him tucked away like that behind the unit is the way to go.

On the chariots, it's such a shame one chariot took the unit out however I don't see what else I could have done differently on the Eastern flank. Perhaps sat them right back a few inches in and waited a few turns?

Horse archers were great however I have a tonne of room for improvement in using them.

Each magic phase was certainly a relentless endeavour for my opponent, I find low rolls are actually the best for Tomb Kings as you can 2 dice most spells with a level 4 and a Hierotitan backing it up and with a casket in tow and 2 channels you can really turn a low roll into a formidable magic phase that the enemy just can't tackle.

SSC's were great in pressuring the enemy and chipping ranks off the Gor, I was tempted to have a crack at dumping skulls onto the razorgor chariot but eventually decided against in and keep the wounds up onto the horde unit.

Well I appreciate any comments and critisms.

Next weekend I've got 3 games against Skaven, either Lizardmen/Dark Elves and probably Beastmen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment