Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Vengeance Rising - Battle 9 - Tomb Kings vs Empire - 07/05/12

Second game from previous games night. It wasn't going to be pretty, purely because there was no list changes and I have very little to deal with the armoured threat.


Battleline take 2!

My list:

Level 4 - Hierophant
Level 4 - Scroll (lore of light), General
Necrotect - dragon bane gem,
20 Archers - Std
20 Archers
2 x 5 Horse Archers
4 chariots - Std, Mus
6 Necro Knights - FC
2 x Warsphinx - FB
Casket
Hierotitan
2 x SSC

Opponents List (from memory)

Elector - Griffon
Level 4- Fire
Warrior Priest - Steed, Biting Blade, Dragonhelm
BSB - Strider banner, 1+, steed
Peg Captain - 2+, charmed shield
10 IC Knights - FC, Steel Standard, lances
2 x 5 Knights - Muso, Lances
1 x 7 Knights - FC, Lances
2 x cannons
Engineer
Helblaster
6 x Pistoliers - Outrider, repeating handgun
4 x Demigryph Knights - Std, Mus
Hurricanum

Spell selection

Hierophant - vengeance, Dessication, Smiting, Cursed Blades
Level 4 - Bironas, Gaze, Speed, Phas
Fire - Fireball, Flaming Sword, Flamecage, Flamecloak


Deployment:





I was aiming to slowly but surely whittle away the units before committing to combat. Anchoring a flank and basically bearing the brunt of the damage and still bathing in the frustration of having little to deal with the armour. Like turning up to a gun fight with a knife.


Empire 1


All the unit advance upon the Tomb Kings.

Magic is an 8 vs 5 round. The Hurricanum attempts to use its bound spell however it does nothing to the Warsphinx. The 2D6 fireball on archer not deployed in the building dealing 6 casualties. Flamecage is cast again on this unit however it fails to cast.

In the shooting phase the Helblaster unleashes onto the Horse Archers destroying a unit. A cannon drops a single Necropolis Knight whilst the second misfires.




TK 1


I advance the chariots around the flank and decide to concentrate on remove the Demi knights. Horse archers move up to block them.

Magic phase sees a 4 vs 1 round. I throw 2D6 at Light of Death onto the Pistoliers and after the souls dissapear the lone outrider champion remains who passes his panic test. Secondly I throw a 2 dice at dessication targetting the Demi knights dropping their S/T.

In the shooting phase the chariots, archers and SSC all target the Demi knights leaving one remaining after the onslaught. He passes his panic test.



Empire 2


Peg and Pistolier get into the backlines.

Rest of the army advances.

Magic is 7 vs 5 with a fireball going off on the East SSC doing a single wound. Finally flaming sword is cast onto the Helblaster but I throw all my dispel dice at this preventing it from getting through.

In the Shooting phase the Helblaster puts a single wound on the Warsphinx and the cannons finish it off destroying the construct. :(




TK 2


Archers leave the building. Hierotitan turns about to attempt to spirit leech the flying menace.

Magic is a 6 vs 5 phase. Right away I throw 2 dice at the casket rolling an 11 targetting the Pegasus Captain. My opponent lets this fly and proceeds to roll a 12 killing the character outright. With no other options for Spirit leech I target the lone Pistolier and drain his life away gaining +1 PD. I then attempt both Burning Gaze and Dessication however these are both dispelled.

Both SSC target the General with one hitting and doing a single wound.



Empire 3


The IC knights declare a charge into the Necropolis knights and fail to make the distance. The general swoops into the archers and the Demi Knight charges the rear of the Hierotitan.

12 vs 6 for Magic and a Fireball goes through to the Necropolis Knights causing 2 wounds. Secondly flame cage goes off on the same target causing another 2 wounds. Flaming sword goes off on the Helblaster IF causing the wizard to lose two levels and forgetting some spells.

The Helblaster fires its deadly payload and after the smoke clears two Necropolis Knights are left. The cannons put two wounds onto the Warsphinx.

In combat the Hierotitan takes 3 wounds from being charged, rear charge and standard. The general proceeds to dish out 6 wounds and I take 7 crumbling damage leaving the characters and a single archer standing.



TK 4


Well I pick up dice to make the charge into the flank of the knights with the Warsphinx and roll a 3. With that I shake my opponents hand and admit defeat.

Result

Empire Massacre

Conclusion:

Well if you read my last battle report then the only real difference is that the scenery changed.

It was a night of gaming last night when I should have just taken a look at my opponents list and not bothered. I don't think that's so much being a badsport as being honest to myself that I haven't equipped the list to handle 'all comers'. Besides why subject myself to those frustrations in hope of 'luck'. Anyway, I don't really have anything positive to say at the moment other than Helblaster Volley guns are great.

Would I have done anything differently for deployment? No. I'd like to think it was pretty good. I was playing the conservative approach this game and not rushing anything in at all. As soon as this list loses the Knights then there is pretty much nothing in the list to make up for that loss. Secondly it's uphill when I can't use my stomps/thunderstomps as that's nearly what I rely on to get some much needed combat resolution.

I can't really comment on the list as well as only two games to test it against the same list isn't great. I don't think it will work anyway unless I find some points to add another standard to the second unit of archers, as it currently stands in a game of Blood and Glory someone only needs to either ping the general and that's the game or get the standard from the unit of archers and Necropolis knights and once again that's the game. The general is usually in the unit with the standard or the Hierophant is so that's a huge design flaw right there!

Not much else to say!

No comments:

Post a Comment