Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Vengeance Rising - Battle 25 - Tomb Kings vs Skaven (Big September 2012 Tournament)

Big September - Game 4

The previous game can be found here.

Ok so I lied, its 10pm on a Sunday night and here's the 4th battle of the tournament:


Grumble grumble. It was time for the second last game of the day and I drew up Skaven. At least it wasn't Dwarfs and glancing at my opponents list I certainly had the right tools to undo this can. He had large T3 blocks, I had potential for loads of S3 fire. Regenerating monster? No problem, I've got flaming catapults for you as well. Wait and see.

Ops list:

Grey Seer
Engineer
BSB
2 x 50 Clanrats (maybe more)w/ warpfire
2 x 50 slaves
2 x 10 gutter runners
2 x 5 Jezzail teams
2 x Hellpits

Deployment:



Wyrding Well took the centre.

Normal drill for me, he rolled up cracks call so I wasn't remotely tempted to get into the building, I was never going to win this game by shooting him to death. Besides I rolled up Skullstorm and I was keen to unleash it into his lines to inflict as many casualties as I possibly could.

He won the roll for scouts and opted to harass my warmachine right away and immediately I knew I'd made a mistake deploying if there however I countered with some Horse archers of my own whilst the third unit was in cover to make the most of hassling his Jezzail team.

I won the roll off for first turn and wasted no time.

Tomb Kings Turn 1:

I started rolling the knights up the flank to engage in the further turns. the first flaming skull was unleashed and true to form it smashed apart the first blood for the match dropping an abom right away. I was silently hoping this was a sign of things to come. I knock off a jezzail as well and score a few wounds on the night runners.





Skaven Turn 1:

My op wastes no time in putting the hurt on me. His gutter Runners promptly take out the SSC reducing my capability of dealing with the Abom at range. His engineer leaves the block of rats to magic my Horse archers causing him some dramas. My Knights take a wound from the Jezzails.



Tomb Kings Turn 2:

I declare a charge with the Hierotitan onto the nearby gutter runners and before they can react they squirt the musk of fear and high tail it out of there. My Stalkers arrive in time to attempt to put some hurt on the Abom so hopefully he wouldn't reach my lines either intact or at full wounds.

I manage to get Net and Desiccation off onto the clan rats in an attempt to slow down their advance giving me time to get into the flank with the Knights. Shooting destroys the Jezzail team in the forest whilst only a single wound gets through onto the Abom.



Skaven Turn 2:

Clanrats stay put and the gutter runners rally. Abom screams towards my lines, I had a single turn to deal with it. Engineer magics the Horse archers away. Jezzails put another wound on the Necroknights, weapon team detonates whilst the other scores a single wound on the Stalkers. The Gutter runners put a few wounds on the Hierotitan.



Tomb Kings Turn 3

I charge the Knights into the clan rats however they flee, I re-direct into the slaves who also take flight. This is also the case with the Jezzail team on the hill however the stalkers easily get stuck into the slaves flank.

I back the Hierotitan up to get some burning gaze action onto the Hellpit yielding two wounds. Magic sees a smiting go through and light of death cooks the Engineer. Shooting brings the Abom to a single wound. I drop a few gutter runners.

In combat the stalkers drop enough slaves to negate crumble and stick around.


Skaven Turn 3:

Abom charges into the Knights. Clan rats flee from the table whilst the slaves cower near the edge. Dreaded 13th drops 14 archers from the Hierophants unit and the Warpfire thrower team puts another wound onto the stalkers. The gutter runners put another 2 wounds onto the Hierotitan leaving him looking pretty unhealthy. I manage to kill the Hellpit taking his last wound and he stays down.



Tomb Kings Turn 4

I charge my Knights into the Grey Seers unit who promptly flees, I re-direct now into the flank of the pinned unit whilst the other smashed into the front. The Horse archers run the Jezzails off the board.

Magic sees me get smiting off an delete the gutter runners through combined magic (LOD + Burning Gaze). Birona's time warp also goes through onto a unit of Knights and with the amount of attacks I'm dishing out I didn't even need to make any stomp attacks. I don't want to risk over running in the wrong direction so I opt to reform my units to face the Grey Seers unit.



Skaven Turn 4

Only the Grey Seers unit rallies. He turns and faces the inevitable oncoming charge.



Tomb Kings Turn 5

I charge the Knights and the stalkers into the unit of rats and the Horse archers for good measure. There is no need to buff as the Knight champion quickly cuts away the grey seers head from his body in spectacular fashion. At this point my opponent condedes the game.



20-0 Tomb Kings

Conclusion:

Possibly the best player in terms of sportsmanship and all round great guy was my opponent. Certainly took a loss much better than me so I can learn from that. We spoke after the game and it was clear that my tools were simply the right ones against his army. He didn't want to commit to my army because he stated I'd easily win the grind fest with my units of Knights and after his Aboms went away it was a tough fight for him.

This game certainly boosted morale and I went into the last game with a pretty good feeling after game 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment